Q: Can the world afford a Malignant Narcissist as President of the United States?
A: Probably not, but let us not test the idea.
What is Malignant Narcissism? Below is a bullet point rendition of Wikipedia’s definition.
As you read it, ask yourself, is this not Donald Trump?
“Malignant Narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of:
- narcissism, […no one loves Donald as much as the Donald does, and nothing that Donald does is intended to benefit anyone but Donald. His proposed tax break for the middle class is part of an overall tax strategy that would hand the wealthy top 10% – including himself – a much bigger tax break. Trump thrives on being in the limelight, disregards any inconvenient truth, and cannot acknowledge his mistakes to the point that, obviously contrary to his own best interests, he doubles-down on his numerous blatant blunders.]
- antisocial personality disorder, […does bragging about being able to grab any woman’s crotch simply because he is The Donald qualify? He has absolutely no respect nor an ounce of empathy for anyone but himself.]
- aggression, […he sues everyone who dares to cross his path, is a misogynist, a bigot, and indiscriminatly intimidates any who might be in his way] and
- sadism […refusing to pay workers who live paycheck-to-paycheck, and the act of firing someone are among many harmful situations that seem to give Donald great pleasure].
- Often grandiose, […he genuinely thinks his five-letter name should be valued at more than a billion dollars per letter, nuff said?] and
- always ready to raise hostility levels […like the schoolyard bully, he will pick on anyone he thinks is weaker than himself.],
- the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved […can America afford this?] , and
- dehumanizes the people with whom they associate” [Women, Mexicans and Other Hispanics, Blacks, Jews, Muslims, Political and Business Opponents, etc., etc.].
Power in the hands of a malignant narcissist is extraordinarily dangerous. The malignant narcissist does not want to lead, but to rule. Most of those who fought to depose the last major malignant narcissist ruler over 50 years ago are no longer with us. Few are left who saw first-hand how dangerously evil a popular conniving malignant narcissist can be.
Donald Trump’s candidacy presents danger to the world, and many world leaders know it. His bluster, reversals of expressed opinions, personal slanders, and complete disregard of truths that are in conflict with his desires, make him unreliable, untrustworthy, and insanely volatile. These attributes might be useful in gaining the upper hand in business negotiations but it is a terrible mix when dealing with leaders of other sovereign nations that have national pride and military options. Putin would love to play with someone who thinks Twitter is a great political forum. Trump’s buttons are easy to see and easy to push. All it takes to make him totally irrational is to insult him personally. (Have you noticed that he never says he was “attacked.” Any assault on his character or comments is a “vicious attack.” Apparently in his self-absorbed mind having the temerity to attack Donald Trump must be vicious.)
Do you really want Donald Trump in charge of our nuclear arsenal?
Beyond Frightening – Simply Unacceptable.
We are in these seriously dangerous waters largely because for the last six years the Republican-controlled Congress chose to abdicate it’s responsibilities and freeze the government to undermine the remainder of Obama’s two-term presidency. Trump’s popularity is the genuinely frustrated but reckless grass roots response to the uncompromising leadership of Congress. Perhaps Republican incumbents in both houses who are running for re-election as “down-ticket” candidates under Trump’s name this year will suffer for their intentional and petty gridlock.*
The last political malignant narcissist who rose to power on a wave of an indignant grass roots backlash nearly destroyed their world and ours. Luckily, he didn’t quite have access to atomic weaponry.
The next one will.
*Ironically, the political career of New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is reeling from self-inflicted wounds suffered in his very own gridlock scandal . The now infamous George Washington Bridge traffic jam, deliberately engineered by Christie’s Administration to “punish” the Mayor of Fort Lee, has backfired on him. Christie is well suited to Trump’s sycophantic entourage.